Legal English and TOLES Exam preparation course
What is TOLES?
The TOLES, or ‘Test of Legal English Skills’ has become the #1 qualification for practising international lawyers and law students. It is recognized worldwide by leading law firms, corporate legal departments, and government agencies.
The exam levels are progressive steps towards reaching the standard level of legal English required by such employers as international commercial law firms, in-house legal teams in private companies, and top-class translators.
TOLES offers 3 levels:
- TOLES Foundation – suitable for beginner level
- TOLES Higher – suitable for intermediate level
- TOLES Advanced – suitable for advanced level
If you’re not sure which level you should take, contact us and we can help.
Who recognises TOLES?
The TOLES Exam Body is a member of the International Division of the Law Society of England and Wales. TOLES legal English training materials and exams have been developed following the advice of experienced commercial lawyers.
Law firms and organisations that have already entered candidates for the TOLES exams include The European Central Bank, The European Court of Justice, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, KPMG, Siemens and Sony Ericsson.
Why do a preparation course for TOLES?
- Get the best possible grade for the exam, which is the #1 exam for practicing lawyers and law students.
- Learn to understand and use specific vocabulary relevant to the global commercial market.
- Improve your writing skills for all types of legal documents, letters, and emails.
- Master the use of Plain English and learn how to simplify, e.g. contract clauses.
- Perfect your communication skills, enabling you to work more effectively in an international commercial setting.
- Stay up to date in your professional development.
The key language skills and communication strategies will focus on achieving all the objectives mentioned above, as well as ensuring you write and speak with grammatical accuracy. You will gain an enhanced commercial awareness of law by focusing on real tasks carried out by lawyers in international legal offices.
Course trainers and methodology
At ELASTiC, we keep classes small to maintain high-quality teaching, so there will be maximum 15 students per group. Our classes are interactive, with a friendly, welcoming atmosphere but you will still be expected to work hard, inside and outside the class. With two 2-hour weekly sessions, you will be required to complete self-study and homework exercises outside class.
All of our course trainers are experienced English teachers with advanced degrees and a legal background.